10.30.2008

Wildlife Adventures

I've had a few encounters with Raccoons since I've been here, but they have always been through a thick glass door. At first it was just with one Raccoon (at least I think it was the same Raccoon) that would come to my house almost every night and try to find food in my yard. Then either that Raccoon had babies or some other Raccoon with three babies started coming to my house regularly. I always go to the door and put my hand up and talk baby talk to them and tell them they are so cute. They look at me for a while then slowly go back to getting their food. Sometimes I even stay up late waiting for them. I'm like a little kid. I get so excited when they come around. I've always heard that Raccoons are really mean though.

So last night I took the boys to our ward Halloween party and we got home after dark. I got out of the car and Jackson was getting out of the car when I noticed a Raccoon in my yard about 10 feet away. Its back was arched and it looked like it would pounce on me and attack at any time. I just kept making eye contact with it and slowly and calmly grabbed Jackson, told him to be really quiet and I walked him over to the porch and got him into the house. When I walk around the corner to go back to the car the momma Raccoon was still in the same place with her back arched, but this time her babies were right there beside me! So her and I stared at each other for a minute while the babies just sat there and watched. I slowly raised my hand and said, "I'm not going to hurt you, you need to leave." They looked at each other then turned around and walked about 10 feet back, but then turned around and looked at me again. I said again, "I"m not going to hurt you, but you guys need to leave." It seemed like they reluctantly walked over to my neighbors driveway and just sat there and watched while I got Payton out of the car and walked into the house. I think they recognized me as their friend. That may have saved me from getting attacked by a Momma Raccoon protecting her babies.

2 comments:

Latter-day Saint Mom said...

I have seen a group of racoons a couple times as well walking home from a neighbors and felt as if they were ganging up on me. We have gotten racoons in our trash can a couple times, luckily nothing more. Glad that you were safe and nothing more happened.

Team Hancock said...

well add racoon whisperer to your list of "can do" maybe they will make a movie about you. Or maybe I will have you come over to my house-how are you on channeling to turkeys.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails